A situation of clash or difference in
Workers and employer
Employers and employers
or workers and workers
in connection with employment terms and
conditions is known as industrial
Forms of Industrial Dispute:
The outcome of industrial dispute is
locking out from the employer side and
workers may resort to strike, Gherao,
- Strike is quitting work by a group of
workers for getting their demands
accepted by the employer. It is a
powerful tool used by the trade unions
to pressurize the management to accept
their demands. Various types of strikes
· Economic Strike: - Strike in concern with economic reason
like wages bonus or working conditions.
· Sympathetic Strike: - Strike to support the other group
of workers on strike within the
organization or for the sympathy to
union workers on strike in other
· General Strike: - Strike of all the unions in a region or
workers of a particular industry for the
common demands of the workers concerned.
· Sit down Strike: - When workers stop doing the work but
also do not leave the place of work. It
is also known as tool down or pen down
· Slow Down strike: - When workers remain on their jobs but
slow down the output of their work.
Lock Out: -
Lockout is the step taken by the
employer to put pressure on workers.
Employer close down the workplace until
the workers agree to continue the work
on the terms and conditions as given by
- Gherao is the action taken by workers
under which they restrict the employer
to leave the work premises or residence.
The person concerned is put away in a
ring made of human beings i.e. workers.
Gheraos are also being adopted by
educational and others institutions. It
is an illegal act according to the Law.
- When workers are not allowed to report
for the work by deputing some men at the
factory gates. If picketing does not
involve any violence it is perfectly
legal. It is done to bring into the
notice of public that there is dispute
between workers and management.
Download pdf file of Industrial